I’ve written articles about a broad range of topics, including:
- “Mapping the future of Virginia Tech”—feature about the university’s new strategic plan
- “What’s it take to become a Hokie today?”—feature about the university’s admissions process
- “Stepping stones to the moon—and beyond”—feature about alumni working to take humankind back to the moon
- “Forging toward a final frontier”—feature about NASA’s mission to Pluto
- “Turning the spotlight toward mental health”—profile on a former star football player and his efforts to shed light on bipolar disorder
- “Prognosis good for human health”—article about how engineering, biotechnology, and veterinary medicine research benefits humans
Hot topics in the news
- “Testing the limits”—article about the efficacy of standardized testing
- “Through the looking glass: Media bias and politics”—article about the role the media plays in political campaigns
- “An eye for design”—profile of Mark Boone, a member of Architectural Digest’s prestigious AD 100
- “Reaching for the stars”—profile of astronaut Charlie Camarda
- “Campaigning for a brighter future”—feature introducing university-wide fundraising campaign
- “Hokies make their mark on campus”—article about the creative ways alumni have given back to their alma mater
- “What’s your status? An update of online social networking opportunities”—an overview of social media for an audience that ranged from their early 20s to their late 70s
- “Just how well do you know Virginia Tech?”—a pop quiz about the university
- “The 50 best things about Virginia Tech”—a brag sheet for proud alumni
- “Virginia Tech, by any other name”—an article lamenting the travails of the university’s multi-syllabic moniker
Other writing projects
Please contact me for marketing writing samples.
- Planned, wrote, and oversaw publication of university’s Office of Development annual reports.
- Wrote communications brochure, script, and other materials for alumni center campaign.
- Wrote several pieces for campaign to build onto university’s football stadium.
- Wrote monthly enewsletter sent to university’s high-level donors.
- Wrote correspondence to university’s high-level donors.
- Wrote emails, Web copy, and fulfillment pieces geared toward converting prospects into students.
- Wrote marketing copy for social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube).
- Wrote full range of marketing materials (from Web copy to emails to fliers) for new academic programs.
- Ghost-wrote several communications from the university president.
I have edited a wide range of copy and publications, including:
- Direct mail
- Web copy (including for SEO)
- Alumni publications
- Public policy articles
- Sales copy
- Social media
- Course descriptions
- Academic publications
I have overseen several projects, including:
- Managed the direct mail projects for four profitable publishing franchises that produced $4.8 million in gross income in FY 1998-99.
- Contributed to the content of numerous control and test direct mail pieces to a wide variety of audiences, from prospective investor newsletter customers to higher education prospects.
- Analyzed results of direct mail campaigns, produced reports and recommendations for further mailing.
- Virginia Tech Magazine, the university’s quarterly alumni magazine, for eight years; these are the last three issues I oversaw:
- Virginia Issues & Answers, a semi-annual public policy magazine, for five years; these are the issues I oversaw: